Monday, April 2, 2012

serious business


Okay, okay.  Joking about baby names is one of my favorite things to do right now, but I should have known better than to indulge in the practice in last week's post.  To the handful of you who were either appalled or delighted by our Joy of Cooking-inspired frontrunners, I apologize and officially retract said name ideas. (Sorry, Tim.  I know you were really attached to "Poach.")

People take this baby naming business very seriously.  I don't blame them.  Names are important.  I've spent the last thirty-some years convinced that I had the wrong name, and while it's too late for me, there's still time to make sure that our baby-to-be has the right one.

Lest you worry about our qualifications, let me assure you that my man and I have been amateur name critics for years.  We're apparently incapable of watching movie credits without reading half the names out loud, deeming them good or bad or just absolutely outrageous.  We know what we like.  And what we definitely don't.  Fortunately, we usually agree.

At one point, I suggested that we start a naming service.  We're both somewhat underemployed right now, and I thought this might be just the sort of niche we've been looking for.  It would allow us to be creative, to work for ourselves.  And we are very good at coming up with names.  Boy names.  Girl names.  Cat names.  We have more names that we could ever possibly use ourselves.  (Case in point: our dwarf hamster has at least three different names.)

Somewhere around the five or six month mark of this pregnancy, I toyed with the idea of bringing home some baby name books, but I never followed through.  Then I spent about two days obsessed with a website called Nymbler, which takes a list of names that you like and offers a giant pile of other names allegedly inspired by your original list.  This kept me occupied for a brief window of time, until my computer stopped loading the website properly. (Word of advice: Don't spend two days compiling a giant list of "maybe" baby names on a website unless you're sure you won't be upset by the prospect of abruptly and permanently losing access to said list.)

So now we've gone old-school, with a little notebook full of names and tiny scraps of paper that I've written things down on so I wouldn't forget them later.  We've spent a fair amount of time discussing our options.  Honestly, though, I don't think we're any closer to a short list now than we were when we started.

Here are the criteria:

1. No "L" names.  Unless we suddenly decide otherwise, baby's last name will start with an L, and I just don't like alliteration that much.

2. No "J" names.  Unfortunately, there are already way too many J's on my man's side of the family, and while I might be able to tolerate just one more, my partner-in-crime has made his feelings clear on this.

3. No flower names for girls.  Or, presumably, for boys.  Again, this isn't my rule.  I like names like Violet and Daisy.  Not enough to really fight for the right to use them, though, I guess...

4. No "hipster" names.  Granted, this one is wide open to interpretation.  For a taste of what we're up against, trying Googling "hipster baby names."  Atticus and Clementine are definitely out.  While my man came up with the "hipster name" rule, I would at least say that I'd rather not have our child share a name with four or five kindergarten classmates.  If it's incredibly popular, we're probably not interested.

5. No creative spellings and no "invented" names.  This one is my rule.  Everyone has to make their own decision about things like this, but this is where I stand.  I'm an English major.  Sue me.

So that's what we're up against.  That and a deadline of, oh, let's say fifty days.  I'm pretty sure we'll eventually work something out, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being an incredibly last-minute decision.

So here's your chance, people.  While I'm not quite ready to put the matter up for a popular vote, I definitely think we could use some public feedback.  Any names we should--or shouldn't--consider?  Other tips or suggestions?  By all means, comment below!

(Speaking of votes, the winner of "Most Useless Piece of Baby Gear" in last week's poll? The wipes warmer, of course, by a landslide.  Thank you, poll participants!  Rest assured, we will not be investing in said warmer.)

8 comments:

  1. Jeremy and I also do that at the end of movies! From a movie we watched last week, one of the animators was named "Paw-Paw Nimble Smith". I'll have to think before I suggest any names! When we were naming Cole, we had a list of about 20 names narrowed down from over 50, and Cole wasn't even on that list! It just popped into my head randomly one day, I said it out loud, and Jeremy said, "yeah, I like it!" We didn't purposefully choose it to have the same sound at the beginning as Kade (I always thought I wouldn't do that). All that to say, what you end up choosing may surprise you, and you may even see your baby for the first time and think she/he doesn't match the name you chose, and have to choose another! I can't wait to hear what name you pick!! :)
    Oh, and when we get a cat or two this summer, I may enlist your help for some name ideas! I don't want to end up with Fluffy and Kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember the old baby name book we used when Meg and Andrew were born? We still have it, if you want it!
    But since I'm writing - Girl names are hard, I think. We only had a few that we agreed on. Boy names - I like old fashioned classic ones, and with a 2 syllable last name, it will be easier than having to work with'Bair'! You are welcome to all my nieces/nephews names - they all live elsewhere and have different surnames; it's a long list, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about Ezra, Ethan, Ava, Avery, Evelyn, Harrison, Taran, or Elena?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boys: Max (just downright awesome), Jack (I mean c'mon- Jack Levien?! Totally awesome), Henry (a bit old fashioned, but I like it!), Russell (I'd call him Russ. You can call him Russell when he's in trouble...), Edward (Eddie- what a charmer!!).
    Girls: Charlotte (All I see is bows... thanks Aunt Laura!), Cynthia (classy!), Diana (love it), Audrey (also love it!), Natalie (not sure why, but I'm digging it!). Also, I second Avery.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry we already took ebenezer... that's probably what's making this really hard :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old-fashioned, we like!
    For the Girls: Mabel, Gwendolyn, Gwen, Loretta, Clara, Rheta (pronounced like Rita), Anna, Hannah.
    For the Boys: Benjamin, Ben, Martin, Ethan, Rhet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't understand why Vajra isn't on everyone's potential baby name list. short, not common and it teaches your child to spell and give the definition of their name at a very young age.

    ReplyDelete
  8. dang. i really liked poach haha. like you are MOVIE star or somethin!

    ReplyDelete