Sunday, May 6, 2012

hooray for babies


I know, I know.  It's been pretty quiet on the blog front for the past few weeks.  Would you believe me if I said I've been kind of busy?  I'm starting to get this unshakable feeling that time is getting away from me.  There's still a long list of things I'd planned to get accomplished before baby makes a break for it.  Sewing projects, cleaning projects, list-making...

In the midst of all this, though, we've been taking time to celebrate.  Because they might be a lot of work, but gosh darn it, babies are exciting.


The lovely ladies on my man's side of the family gathered a few weeks ago to revel in all things baby.  My dear mother- and sister-in-law put together a sweet, sweet shower with tasty snacks, adorable handmade details, and plenty of laughter and advice.  Oh, and cupcakes.  This sort of thing requires cupcakes, I think.


And lots of good company.

Last week, we invited another, tinier handful of people over for a different kind of party.  For one thing, there were--gasp!--men.  And beer. There was also less advice and more good-natured teasing.  The event was billed as "what might be our last scheduled social event for the foreseeable future."  It remains to be seen whether or not that will prove to be true, but if it is, I wouldn't want to go out any other way.


There were more cupcakes, of course.  Not handmade this time, sadly, but still pretty dang good.  We snacked and screened one of my favorite documentaries ever.  My intrepid friend Sarah K organized an amazing onesie-decorating project that resulted in some one-of-a-kind fashion statements that our little one will soon be rocking.


They were two very different celebrations, but both of these little shandies left me with the same warm, looked-after feeling.  I love knowing that our tiny new person will be coming into a world of people that will cherish, celebrate, and support.  And, yes, it feels good knowing that those same folks are there to take care of us, too.

For anyone keeping track, the majority of you voting in the last poll advised us that the most important pre-baby activity for us to indulge in while there's still time is Sleeping In.  I'll admit, it's not something that I'm especially good at, but rest assured, my partner-in-crime is taking full advantage of these last opportunities...

No comments:

Post a Comment